The purpose of the Building Codes Enforcement is the safe-guarding of persons and property from hazards; To enforce certain minimum standards, provisions and requirements for safe and stable design; To inspect methods of construction and uses of materials in buildings or structures; To enforce the North Carolina Building Codes, issue permits, and perform inspections in Stanly County.
Contractors, Developers, Design Professionals, Owners and Permit Holders.
There has been some confusion concerning the stay at home order issued for 5pm Monday 3/30/2020. Per the order, Construction is deemed essential. Stanly County Inspections and Central Permitting will be conducting business as usual, with the following conditions stated below. There will be no public entry into the departments. If you need assistance for permitting call 704-986-3675. If you have any questions or concerns you may contact Inspection Department by email or call. Stay Safe and Thank You.
EFFECTIVE MARCH 25, 2020
DUE TO THE COVID-19 VIRUS STANLY COUNTY INSPECTIONS OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED FOR PUBLIC ENTRANCE INTO THE BUILDING. WE WILL BE PERFORMING INSPECTIONS, PERMITTING, AND PLAN REVIEW AS NORMAL DURING THIS TIME. PLEASE CALL 704-986-3675 FOR ASSISTANCE OR CALL OR EMAIL ANY OF THE INSPECTORS LISTED BELOW IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE.
CHRIS MOON, DIRECTOR
|Kerr, Rusty||Building Codes Enforcement Officer I||
|Borgemeister, Justin||Building Codes Enforcement Officer II||
|Dennis, Allen||Building Codes Enforcement Officer III; Plan Reviewer||
|Whitley, Jason||Building Codes Enforcement Officer I||
Building Codes Enforcement Officer II
Permit Application Process
- Sub contractors applications for Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Gas-Piping and Set-up trades may be down-loaded, signed, and returned to Central Permitting, along with applicable fee.
- All fees must be paid by check, cash, or charged on an active insurance bond. No credit or debit cards accepted. Checks should be made payable to Stanly County.
- Applicant is welcome to call Central Permitting at 704 986 3667 to request fee amount when necessary.
- Applications and fees can be Mailed, Faxed, or Emailed.
- Signed & completed applications (with check for correct permit fee) may be mailed to: Central Permitting Inspection Department 1000 N 1st St. Suite 13C, Albemarle, NC 28001
- Signed/completed applications may be faxed if contractor has an active insurance bond or payment by credit/debit card. Fax Number: 704-986-3783
- Signed/completed applications may be E-mailed if contractor has an active insurance bond or payment by credit/debit card. Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anytime after any permit is issued and valid, a request for inspection may be made by calling Stanly County Inspection Department at 704-986-3667. Inspection requests must be called one day in advance.
- In addition to above voice mail, applicant may request inspection on line at: Central Permitting
- Always reference a permit number when possible, and always leave instructions about key or other entry information.
- Inspection request can be be made on the Web as well. Log on to BuildingDepartment.com click contractor tab, and follow steps to sign up.
- Inspection department is now paperless. All inspection results can be obtained by signing up with BuildingDepartment.com All results will be sent via email.
- At this time Building Permits and Mobile Home permits are blanket type permits, requiring information from several entities, and must be applied for in the Central Permitting Offices at the above address. Mobile Home permits require payment for all trades when blanket permit is issued. Please bring your signed/completed sub-contractors applications with you when you apply for the Mobile Home permit.
All commercial projects will have to be approved before permitting. Plans can be submitted for review by hand delivery to Central Permitting Inspection Department 1000 N 1st St. Suite 13C Albemarle NC 28001. Must submit 4 sets of the entire plan(building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and life safety) including a Appendix B for review.
Plans can also be submitted for review by Electronic PDF. Plans must be in one file and must be stripped with all cad comments for review. All PDF plans will include Appendix B, Site Plan, Life Saftey, Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing
Plans will be submitted thru Dropbox, which can be accessed by contacting Central Permitting at 704 986 3660 or by emailing email@example.com
Stanly County Building Codes Enforcement jurisdiction is all of Stanly County.
Mandated Requirements by General Statutes
In 1983 Stanly County was required by General Statutes and the county’s population to begin enforcement of all volumes of the State Building Codes and regulations. This mandated adding the enforcement of plumbing & mechanical codes.
The General Statutes also requires that the local inspections office require Licensed contractors when types of construction falls under state licensing laws. The General Statutes requires local Inspections Office to make building contractors show proof of worker’s compensation when projects cost $30,000; Or they may sign an affidavit that they are exempt or the contractor has coverage.
The local Inspections Office is required by General Statutes to collect a $10.00 homeowner recovery fee from each licensed contractor for each building permit issued pertaining to a single family dwelling. Then $9.00 of each fee collected is sent to the Contractors Licensing Board, and the County retains $1.00 of each fee collected.