The Stanly County Veteran Services Office (VSO) assists the more than 10,000 veterans, their dependents and survivors, apply for a number of benefits and programs. The VSO coordinates the claims process with the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs and Veterans Administration.
Benefits and Services
- Disability Benefits and Pensions — Disability compensation may be awarded if a disability occurred as a result of military service or pension benefit if a wartime veteran has limited income and cannot work.
- Dependent and Survivor Benefits — Veteran’s dependents and survivors may apply for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation if the service member died on active duty or as a result of service-related disabilities.
- VA Hospital and Medical Care — Veterans are assisted in getting the medical help they need from veterans hospitals. Veterans are also assisted with obtaining outpatient medical treatment, dental, pharmacy and prosthetic care, as well as care through nursing homes, domiciliary and home health care organizations. Referrals for readjustment counseling and drug and alcohol treatment are also available.
- Educational Benefits — Various education and training programs including the Montgomery GI bill, Veterans Education Assistance Program. Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance, and Federal Employment and On-the-Job Training, may be available to assist veterans in furthering their education.
- Vocational Rehabilitation — Service-disabled veterans may qualify for special retraining in order to obtain suitable employment. The VA helps with training costs, monthly living expenses, counseling, and medical and dental treatments).
- Home Loans — Veterans are assisted with obtaining VA guaranteed loans for a home, a manufactured home, lot or a condominium. Help may also be available for building, repairing/ improving a home, or for refinancing a mortgage at a lower interest rate.
- Burial Benefits — Family members are assisted in applying for headstones and markers for graves, burial flags, burial expenses reimbursement and Presidential Memorial Certificates.
- Life Insurance — Veterans may be eligible for Servicemen’s Group Life Insurance and Veterans Group Life Insurance, as well as other service-disabled insurance programs.
- State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs — The State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs provides scholarships for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA veterans. Veterans are assisted with employment hunting and fishing licenses, special auto license plates, certified records and other special programs.
- Stanly County Veterans Services Office — In addition to the services listed above, the VSO offers assistance to veterans in reopening claims and filing appeals, requesting discharge upgrades, finding military documents, and obtaining marriage and death certificates in order to process VA claims. The VSO is connected with the Department of Veterans Affairs’ computer database called the TARGET System. This system provides access to veteran’s VA records, essential information needed to file claims and answer veterans’ service-related questions. The Veterans Services Officer is accredited through the VA and North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs to operate the system. Power of Attorney privilege, granted through the VA, is necessary to access or review veterans’ files.