The purpose of the Senior Services Department is to enhance the quality of life for older adults in Stanly County by providing a range of services, programs, supports, and opportunities for adults 60 years old and older.
Arts & Crafts
Whatever you interests we offer a wide range of activities that will keep your hands busy and your creativity flourishing.
- Craft Classes
- Creative Coloring
- Inky Fingers
- Painting for Fun
Enjoy your favorite pastime games with friends, renew your patience and confidence while boosting your motor and memory skills. An instructor is available to teach these games.
- Canasta I & II
- Contract Bridge
- Duplicate Bridge
- Intermediate Bridge
- Mexican Train Dominoes
Educational and Social Programs
Our various seminars, classes, and clubs offer positive interactions to help keep you mentally sharp and intellectually engaged.
- Book Club participants meet monthly to discuss a pre-selected book through the library. The discussion is relaxed and open, giving everyone time to express their opinions.
- Center Piece, the monthly newsletter, provides articles of interest and education, news of activities, trips, and events, and a calendar of programs at the Senior Center.
- Computer Classes are offered occasionally at the Senior Center to help Seniors learn how to use their computers properly and efficiently.
- Fidget Friends participants meet on the second Monday of the month to make fidget aprons and blankets for individuals with dementia.
- Ladies Lunch Bunch is a monthly luncheon get together for fun and fellowship at different restaurants in the county.
- Luncheons are held monthly, offering programs, meals, and opportunities to socialize.
- Outside Speakers provide both interesting and educational programs on a variety of topics.
- Stammtisch participants meet the forth Wednesday of the month for a friendly get-together and socialization hour in German.
- Veteran’s Club participants meet the last Tuesday of the month for a breakfast sponsored by Community Homecare and Hospice. This is a time for Veterans to socialize and enjoy the company of fellow Veterans.
Fitness and Health Programs
- Exercise Classes are offered Monday through Friday for both men and women to maintain fitness and have fun. These classes are free of charge. See the Centerpiece calendar for exercise days and times.
- Chair Yoga
- Drums Alive
- Exercise w/ Frankie
- Floor Yoga
- Hiking Club
- Ping Pong
- Sit N’ Fit
- Step & Flex
- Tai Chi
- Zumba (offered after hours for a small fee)
- Dance Classes are held weekly at the Senior Center. A variety of dance is offered. A quarterly dance will be held once a quarter and is open to the public.
- Virtual Functional Fitness is a thirty minutes online exercise group that meet every Tuesday at 3:00pm. We focus on increasing balance and strength to help with all daily living activities such as walking and getting up from a chair.
Both day and overnight trips are offered through the Senior Center throughout the year. Open to all adults, these trips combine education, fun and fellowship. See our Center Piece newsletter for information on upcoming trips.
Senior Games & Silver Arts
Co-Sponsored by the Albemarle Parks & Recreation, Troy-Montgomery Senior Center, and the Stanly County Senior Services, the Uwharrie Senior Games and Silver Arts give those 50 and above an opportunity to participate and excel both physically and creatively. This organized, competitive program offers opportunities to advance to State and National Senior Games. A wellness and prevention program to keep the body, mind, and spirit fit, Senior Games is based on fitness, fun, friends, family and fellowship.